As far back as 1823 a surgeon apothecary called Thomas Gilmore was the first recorded medical practitioner in the village. Later in the 1820’s William Dickson, surgeon, practised from Albion House, now Glen House, and he was succeeded by his son John Dickson in 1861.
In 1881, surgeon Mr William von Beverhoudt, MRCS, LRCP, married Harriet Whittaker whose family lived at the Hall from where he practised. Later, a Dr Herkloz practised from the Villa and in 1913 Dr Charles Lower practised from Glen House. Dr John Carmichael arrived in 1919 and in 1930 his son Alec took over the Practice single-handed from Brook’s House until his retirement in 1969.
Dr Derek Woodford was then appointed to the Practice, which moved to converted outbuildings in the garden of the Rectory. In 1972 Dr John McHenry joined the practice, followed by Dr Urszula Dudek in 1988.
In 1999 Dr Woodford retired and Dr David Lightwing joined the practice in April that year as his replacement, followed by Dr Rome Sigsworth in September 2000. Dr Mc Henry replaced Dr Derek Woodford as Senior Partner in 1999 and, after 30 years of service to the NHS, Dr McHenry retired in July 2003 to be replaced by Dr Urszula Dudek as Senior Partner.
In early 2003 the practice received planning permission to build a new surgery on land owned by the Lower Derwent Sports Club. The new surgery was completed in December 2004 and has since been key to the practice being able to expand and extend the range of services on offer to patients.
Dr Timothy Longmore joined the partnership team in October 2003, and in September 2005 the practice began its association with the Hull York Medical School and began to teach medical students.
Dr Nicole Kessen became a partner in January 2007.
Dr Jamie Ingham joined the practice in March 2010 as a salaried GP and became a partner in April 2011.
In June 2014 Dr Sigsworth was awarded the HYMS Clinical Teaching Excellence Award, in recognition of her outstanding contribution to training students. Upon receiving it, Dr Sigsworth commented “I wouldn't have earned the award without our patients!”.
Dr Urszula Dudek retired in September 2015 after 27 years with the practice, leading it from strength to strength and Dr David Lightwing took on the leadership of the practice as Senior Partner.
Dr Rachel Chadwick joined the practice as a salaried GP in September 2015, becoming a partner in September 2016, and the latest addition to the team is Dr Nathan De Barr who joined the practice as a salaried GP in April 2016.
Dr Nathan De Barr joined the practice as a salaried GP in April 2016, becoming a partner in June 2017. Dr Sarah Bird joined the practice as a salaried GP in August 2017, becoming a partner in September 2018.
Dr David Lightwing retired in December 2017 after 18 years with the practice, Dr Longmore took on the leadership of the practice as Senior Partner